Doctoral candidate (PhD student) in the field of theoretical solid-state physics (M/F)
- Ref: F1-080008b
- Fixed-term contract 3 years, full-time (40 hrs/week)
- Student and employee status
The PhD Student will be a member of the Theoretical Solid-State Physics group of the Physics and Material Sciences Research Unit within the Faculty of Science, Technology and Communication at the University of Luxembourg. He/she will work in an exciting international environment and participate in the development of a young, research-oriented university, established in 2003, that has been successfully expanding in recent years. The group uses first-principles methods to understand and predict the properties of novel functional materials starting from the electronic phenomena at the atomic scale. The work will be performed under the supervision of Prof. Ludger Wirtz in collaboration with experimental and other theoretical groups in Europe.
- Write a thesis in the domain of theoretical solid-state physics;
- Contribute to research on electronic, vibrational, and optical properties of nanostructured materials (e.g., graphene in interaction with different substrates, semiconducting nanocrystals as light-emitting and light-harvesting materials). This work involves the use and development of both ab-initio and semi-empirical techniques.
For further information and to apply, please contact Ludger.Wirtz@uni.lu
- Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry, or Material Science;
- Strong background in quantum mechanics and at least one of the following fields: theoretical solid state/semiconductor physics, molecular physics, atomic physics;
- Experience in scientific programming;
- Good language skills.
- Personal work space at the University
- Dynamic and multicultural environment
- Possibility of travelling and close collaboration with experimental and theoretical partner groups in Europe
Candidates should submit the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Motivation letter detailing how you meet the selection criteria;
- a summary of past accomplishments;
- Coordinates of two persons willing to send a letter of recommendation;
- Copies of diplomas.
Application Deadline : 15 February 2013