Brief description: The Wells Mountain Foundation, a public charitable foundation based in Bristol, Vermont, USA, funds scholarships for individuals in developing nations or other situations of extreme poverty.
Host Institution(s): Your choice of institution in your home country or in another developing country
Field(s) of study: All fields of study but fields such as health care, social work, education, social justice, as well as, professions that help the economy and progress of the country such as computers, engineering, agriculture and business are favored.
Number of Scholarships: 28 scholars were selected in 2011.
Target group: Citizens of developing countries
Scholarship value/inclusions: Scholarships range from $300.US to a rare high of $3000.US to cover part of tuition and fees, books and materials, room rent and meals.
They do not fund the following:
- education at a college, polytechnic or university in the United States, UK, Australia, or Europe with some exceptions
- Masters or Doctorate Degrees. A medical degree, however, is acceptable.
- laptop computers, conferences or trips
- debts or past due tuition bills
Eligibility: WMF’s ideal candidate is a student, male or female, from a country in the developing world, who:
- successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- will be studying in their country or another country in the developing world
- plans to live and work in their own country after they graduate
-has volunteered prior to applying for this scholarship and/or is willing to volunteer while receiving the WMF scholarship
- may have some other funds available for their education, but will not be able to go to school without a scholarship
- submits a complete, legible 2012 application in English
Application instructions: Applications are done by submitting the application form together with required documents. Applications must be received by 1 April 2013 to be considered for the 2013-2014 school year. Applicants will be notified if they have been selected as a WMF Scholarship student by approximately 1 August 2013, with funding for the first semester by September 1.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.wellsmountainfoundation.org/?page_id=699
WMF Scholarship FAQs: http://www.wellsmountainfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Scholarship-FAQs-revised-9-2011.pdf